Thursday, August 12, 2010

PHA residents report abuse to the pjstar



On Monday, August 8th, the pjstar ran an article entitled Snarky comments about Taft residents hurt. It was a good article and very revealing. The Peoria Housing Authority Director of Public Relations exposed the vulnerable side of PHA residents, when she went on record about the hurtful and often racist comments that appear on a regular basis on pjstar.com.

I thought that Peoria Pundit had already covered the issue sufficiently when he posted this: Journal Star addresses concerns that many PJStar commenters are ignorant, racist troglodytes, so I kept it moving and went on to other things.

But today, I had to do a double take... compare the comments on Monday's Snarky piece, to the comments on today's piece about the District 150 dress code. Notice anything different?

Has the pjstar decided to actually moderate hateful comments? If so, kudos to Ms. Lundeen and the PHA residents, for getting the pjstar to step up and do something they should have done a long time ago.

3 comments:

Mahkno said...

School uniforms should not be a punishment. The policy makes a uniform into a scarlet letter.

Emerge Peoria said...

I agree, school uniforms are not a punishment.

I dont' agree that school uniforms means that the District has given up on children; nor do I belive that the perception is that if you go to a public school and you wear uniforms, that is a "bad" school.

Sharon Crews said...

I have never understood how the uniforms?? worn in District 150 would build school pride, etc. These are not uniforms--it is just a "uniform" dress code where every student in the city looks relatively alike. I know the expense would defeat one of the stated purposes--but the uniforms could build school pride if students wore a shirt with the school name, etc., on it. As it is, there is no pride in looking like everyone else. I know the goal is for children to dress so that no one feels inferior, etc. I