Monday, December 13, 2010

At what point is it too late to teach parenting skills?

In Los Angeles County parents are being forced into parenting classes if their child is convicted of gang crime. Is it too late to teach parenting skills if the child is already in a gang?

Parents of gang members being sent to parenting class

Moms and dads in Los Angeles County are being sent to mandatory parenting classes after their children are convicted of gang crime.

The classes will eventually put in place across California under a new state law that came into effect this year.

Assemblyman Tony Mendoza, the lawmaker behind the Parent Accountability Act, says it is the first state law to give judges the power to order parents of gang members to school, though other court-mandated classes exist at the local level.

The law went into effect in January but budget cuts in Sacramento meant implementation of the classes was delayed and only in the past month or so have they been rolled out on a limited basis in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Read entire article here

1 comment:

Sharon Crews said...

My Attorney General victory is on hold for now. I erred in not reading the inside address of the letter from the Attorney General to Robert Gates, the board lawyer. Most of the address was correct (Gates name, firm, firm’s address). However, a Clark Street address was also used, and the letter was sent to Chicago, IL (to the Chicago Public Schools). Therefore, District 150 did not receive the letter and I erred in stating last night that their deadline for turning over data to me was about over.

Gates has appropriately scolded me for making this statement at the BOE meeting. Gates now maintains that the whole letter and its contents, not just the address, are inaccurate. He states, “Additionally, the letter fails to address a number of issues raised in my correspondence of October 11. These issues beg the question of who this letter was intended to be sent.”

Personally, I believe the whole letter (dates, arguments, etc.,) all relate to my FOIA, but the Attorney General will be the final judge of that. However, there will undoubtedly be a lengthy delay while District 150 continues to refute my request. There is no doubt that District is paying dearly for their desire to withhold data from me—the credits earned by seven Manual seniors. The irony is that I was already given the same data for the other 106 graduates. The only reason I didn’t receive this data in the first place is that I discovered on my own that there were actually 114 graduates, not 106 (without names or actual ID numbers). Therefore, I asked for the same data that I had received for the other 106.