In response to Reverend Watson's "press release" here are the actual facts about PHS. To my knowledge, only one blogger has inquired about the press release.
1) All principals and Central Office administrators in the District, who were not already on multi-year contracts, have been offered one-year contracts. There were no exceptions. Any ongoing multi-year contracts prior to my arrival must be honored. New principals were offered multi-year contracts.
2) Textbooks are an ongoing issue throughout our District. Several years ago, we evaluated our textbook process as a Six-Sigma project. We improved the process, but our high student mobility rate is an issue. To correct his letter, the first Peoria High textbook request sent to the warehouse was dated August 19, not August 1. The warehouse has filled all of the received textbook requisitions that are able to be filled.
3) There are only two plumbing work orders outstanding for PHS. A Sept. 30 work order for a leaking drinking fountain and an Oct. 5 work order for two toilets – one fills slowly and the other has a broken flush handle.
4) I am developing a schedule to meet with all parent groups to introduce myself and allow time for Q&A.
5) We have been working collaboratively with the City to address the after school safety issues:
a) The posting of new signs on North Street indicating "No Stopping or Standing" and indicating no left turn onto North Street between the hours of 2:00 & 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.
b) Requesting support from the Parking Enforcement Division to assist in the enforcement of parking violations.
c) The installation of gates that will prevent vehicles from exiting designated entrance / exits.
d) The moving of the public bus stop form Richmond/North to Nebraska/North
e) The purchase of video cameras to tape student dismissal and after school activities.
f) Conduct school assemblies at all high schools regarding sidewalk safety.
Peoria Public Schools
3202 N. Wisconsin Avenue
Peoria, IL 61603